Wildlife in India
Incredibly, the wildlife in India boasts of 90,000 living species, including 1,250 kinds of birds.
The Wildlife in India is magnificent and diverse with some of the most attractive and rare animals found here. Ecologically and bio-geographically too the Indian subcontinent is one of the most fascinating regions in the world. On the one end is the rainless desert and to the other is the rainiest place on earth; the permanently snowbound Himalayas lies to the northeast and to the south is one of the hottest places on the earth. This great variety of biological conditions and flora is due to the wide range of weather, topology and habitat that allows the Indian continent to support a great diversity of wildlife, including animals such as the Wild Ass that live in hot desert conditions and the Tibetan Antelope found in north eastern Ladakh in extreme cold climate conditions; animals of open scrubland like the Blackbuck and of meadows and swamplands like the Rhinoceros. Incredibly, the country boasts of 90,000 living species, including 1,250 kinds of birds.
India’s wildlife’s diversity includes some of the rare endangered animals like the Royal Bengal Tiger, Asiatic Lion, Indian One-Horned Rhinoceros and many such endangered species. India boasts of some of the finest tiger reserves spread from the northern Terai region in Dudhwa and Corbett, to thick dense jungles in its southern states like Bandipur, Nagarhole, Mudumalai and Periyar, from the dry deciduous Ranthambore to the marvelous mangroves of Sundarbans, from the virgin rainforests of Namdapha and savannahs of Kaziranga to the bamboo rich central Indian highlands of Bandhavgarh and Kanha.
Wildlife tourism in India
India attracted more than 8 million Foreign Tourist Arrivals (FTAs) in 2016 (8.89 million to be precise) registering a growth of 10.7 percent year-on-year. Wildlife tourism in India accounted for nearly 15% of these foreign tourists who visited India for wildlife viewing and tiger spotting trips in India.
Useful links to know more about the Wildlife in India
Being a tour operator for wildlife in India, we have seen a significant demand for people searching for information on “Wildlife of India” on various search portals such as Google (at least that’s what we have found while doing a keyword research). But the problem is none of these top results are truly great.
So, we have tried to tackle this problem by putting together our knowledge and experience in providing some of the best wildlife information for India.
Feel free to write to us at email@example.com if you would like to contribute to this website by sending us corrections/ideas for future content, writing an article on our blog or sending us quality pictures of India’s wildlife.
- Endangered animals in India – Also they are some of the most popular animals in India. Read about some of the wildlife conservation efforts for these endangered animals, their habitats, facts etc.
- Best places to see tigers in India – Interesting statistics about the tiger population in India, detailed information on some of the best tiger reserves on this subcontinent and some of best places to see tigers in the wild
Useful links to help you plan your Wildlife trip to India
- Top Reasons to visit India for a wildlife holiday
- Which wildlife reserve or national park should you visit
- Best time to visit India for a wildlife safari
- Some of the best jungle lodges and wildlife resorts in India
- Some of our best-recommended jungle safari and wildlife tours in India
- Frequently asked questions about wildlife safaris in India/Travelling to India Checklist/Advice/Travel Essentials
- Authentic and unique wildlife experiences of India offered by our partners or through various community tourism initiatives